Thursday, August 7, 2008

Welcome!







I am a fist time blogger... sort of...I had a short run at it on my personal website TheresaRankin.com...I have been putting off writing one for some time now...as if I didn't have enough to do!


I recently moved (well,actually, I have been here off and on for about 9 months) and started a new life, here in Carthage MO....the best one ever I think! I have always wanted to live here since moving to the Midwest. Those of you who know me...know what I am talking about. I am given to change...moving...sort of like a kite...whichever way the wind blows me. Except in my heart of hearts...which is the home of my artwork (I am an oil painter...which probably describes the kite statement)...My children....My friends...and MY MAX!!
I intend to post daily paintings here....and also those from the studio....keeping my friends and family updated on what's going on...! I am a terrible email writer...and worse about phone calls. My heart is in the right place...I think of those close to me daily...I just don't take time to communicate....my bad!
So here is some info on me and a picture of me and Max at a 4th of July party...I will expand on said info later and hopefully keep you all up to date!

Current Read: The Road by Cormac McCarthy also the author of No Place For Old Men.
Current Film: Tom Dowd & the Language of Music (2003)
Current Favorite artist: Zhaoming Wu


Red Onions 11x14 SOLD

Bio
Born in Hollywood, California Theresa knew she wanted to be an artist at six years old. “I remember telling my teachers how to color and draw, stating matter of factly that I am going to be an artist when I grow up. Formal studies began at the University of Hawaii., University of Utah and most recently Scottsdale Artist School. Many mentors and other artists have helped her direction. After a considerable break from the art world, the last few years she has been seriously working at improving and defining her style. That style is filled with interesting paint texture, gestural paint strokes and an accent on light. "I look at things as shapes of color and light; therefore I am happy to paint anything that stirs my heart and mind." She is influenced by Sargent, Sorrolla, Zorn and current artists Richard Schmid, Dan Gerhartz and Jeremy Lipking. Theresa strives for a mix of realism and looseness she finds emotionally and visually satisfying. Always eager to improve she has attended workshops with several local artists and received scholarships to Scottsdale Artists' School twice in the last three years. She continues to strive towards excellence and has lived in the Missouri/Kansas area for the past 16 years. She is a member of SPIVA of Joplin Mo, Artists of Northwest Arkansas, Eureka Springs Artists Guild, Bartlesville Art Association, Ok, artCentral of Carthage, Mo., NOAPS, Oil Painters of America, The Academic Artists Association and Landscape Artists International. She also teaches regular classes, dabbles in photography, gives workshops and is a member of Artists Who Teach.
Selected juried entries, exhibitions and awards include: Midwest Gathering of Artists, St. Avips Silent Auction, Ball and Exhibition, Capital Building Exhibition at Jefferson City, Scottsdale Artists School Scholarship 2004 and 2006.
Ozark Artists Alliance at John Brown University, “Best of Show” 2008Artists of Northwest Arkansas Fall Regional Competition "Best in Oil"The Thomas Hart Benton Exhibition and Juried Competition, "Best of Show" 2006 and 2007The Thomas Hart Benton Exhibition and Juried Competition, "Artists' Choice"The Richard Schmid Fine Art Auction "High Seller", 2005, 2006 and 2007Scottsdale Artist School "Best and Brightest" Invitation and Juried Competition The National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society "Best Landscape"2005The 20th Annual Bosque Conservatory Art Classic. 2005 and 2006Academic Artists Assoc. 56th Annual Juried Exhibit 2006Museum of the Southwest Peoples Choice and Honorable Mention 2006Artists of Northwest Arkansas Second Place 2003 and 2004Her work is available through personal contact and at Cherrys' Gallery in Carthage Missouri

No comments: